The RGS is an academically selective school and we are proud that all our students are able, gifted and talented in at least one area of educational endeavour.
Our philosophy for fostering a scholarly mindset includes:
- being fiercely curious and intellectually inquisitive;
- looking for opportunities beyond the curriculum and making connections between individual subjects;
- encouraging creativity and a free-thinking approach which is willing to challenge conventional opinion;
- providing opportunities for research and presentation skills;
- mental resilience and flexibility to identify and offer creative solutions to challenges and not be daunted by initial failure and setback, rather seeing it as a constructive and necessary part of development;
- being ambassadors of excellence and celebrating aspiration and achievement while always remaining humble;
- enriching and benefiting others within the School and those in the community;
- developing a lifelong love of learning and a lasting thirst for knowledge and self-improvement.
These qualities are not just reserved for academic scholars, but rather are a description of the culture at the RGS and what characterises the ethos of the School. They are the qualities to which every student should aspire and, as such, regular opportunities are provided which are open to all students for enrichment, stretch and challenge as part of our Programme for Scholarship.